Monday, December 11, 2006

Weekend pictures

Becky and I went to see The Fountain over the weekend. As with Lady in the Water, I hadn't heard great things about it, but I think we both liked it. It was complicated, but I'd rather be knocked back by the complexity of a movie than just startled by loud noises or grossed out by risque plays on sexual taboos. We were talking about the movie all the way home, and it felt good to be challenged.

Before going to the movie, Becky and I went to dinner at our favorite pub in Pueblo. We played Dominoes and ate fish and chips. Solid.


Then, walking around the Union Avenue district, we found ourselves at the Riverwalk. This time, however, there were no frijole-spitting contests or chile beer-- just a serene and beautiful walk along flowing water.



It was really cold, though, and I imagine that the water was continuously moving because if it stood still it would have frozen solid. That was our plan too!





5 comments:

Monticore said...

Cute Pics

edluv said...

yes, very Xmas cardy and nice. i've seen an interesting article about the effects in the movie you saw. basically, the director hates cgi, and so went and researched all sorts of different old school effects to do it. the clips i've seen of the film are spectacular, intersting and visual have knocked my socks off. the story, on the other hand, didn't really draw me into seeing it.

how did you feel about the visual nature of the film?

Unknown said...

The visual nature of the film... Hmmm...

It was fantastic. I mean, it was well-done, but I say fantastic because a lot of it was fantasy, and with fantasy it's not like you're representing something that everyone knows and will spot errors in, so it's easier to get the audience to buy in. Dig?

That said, I think the fact that the visuals are so overpowering lets you stay interested and awed enough so that you are invested in the movie and want to follow the story (which is complicated) (like this sentence).

I really really liked Pi. I can see where the use of more organic effects (which were necessary, because they had a miniscule budget for that film) gets you into the characters more. I saw some of the "making of" for it, and some of the things they did to get effects remind me of Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell's Evil Dead process. Or even Robert Rodriguez. It's nice though, to see Aronofsky sticking to the guerilla (two r's?) film style, even when he has a larger budget.

(I think of Once Upon a Time in Mexico or Sin City as moving away from the underground style but I'm no film scholar)

The movie was stunning. The story was intriguing. I'd give it two thumbs up.

timidvenus said...

sometimes i see becky and i think 'she is absolutely stunning'. not that i think she has ugly days or something, but she is amazing looking in those pics. i sure miss you guys. any funeral homes for sale there?

Allison said...

WOW! You guys look great, and very happy! I'm really posting this for Becky (as I don't know Jay very well), but the pictures were on Jay's blog!